By Rodney Stark
* The Catholic Church incited and actively colluded in approximately millennia of anti-Semitic violence, and Pope Pius XII continues to be rightfully often called ‘Hitler’s Pope’.
* only in the near past have we realize historic and remarkably enlightened Christian gospels, which narrow-minded Catholic specialists attempted to suppress.
* as soon as in energy because the reputable Church of Rome, Christians fast and brutally persecuted paganism out of existence.
* the autumn of Rome and the ascendancy of the Church prompted Europe’s decline right into a millennium of lack of awareness and backwardness, which lasted till the Renaissance.
* Initiated via the pope, the Crusades have been however the first bloody bankruptcy within the background of unprovoked and brutal Christian colonialism.
* The Spanish Inquisition tortured and murdered large numbers of blameless humans for ‘imaginary’ crimes, corresponding to witchcraft and blasphemy.
* The Catholic Church persecuted and attempted to suppress scientists comparable to Galileo, and the clinical ‘Revolution’ accordingly happened more often than not in additional tolerant Protestant societies.
* Being solely happy with slavery, the Catholic Church did not anything to oppose its creation within the New international, or to make it extra humane.
* until eventually very lately, Catholicism’s hierarchical view of the fitting country has led to its sour resistance to all efforts to set up extra liberal governments and its keen aid for right-wing dictators.
* It used to be the Protestant Reformation that broke the repressive Catholic grip on development and ushered in capitalism, non secular freedom and the trendy international.
In this strong and persuasive booklet Rodney Stark topics those and different widely-held ideals to a rigorous historic overview. He supplies a compelling account of the way each one of them grew to become accredited because the traditional knowledge, how egotism and beliefs frequently labored jointly to create fake or hugely distorted photos of individuals and occasions, and the way we have to work flat out to get better the reality if we’re to undo the cultural harm that centuries of anti-Catholic heritage has done.
1. Sins of Anti- Semitism
2. The Suppressed Gospels
3. Persecuting the Tolerant Pagans
4. implementing the darkish a while
5. Crusading for Land, Loot, and Converts
6. Monsters of the Inquisition
7. medical Heresies
8. Blessed Be Slavery
9. Holy Authoritarianism
10. Protestant Modernity
Read or Download Bearing False Witness: Debunking centuries of anti-Catholic history PDF
Similar church history books
The Church has been lulled to sleep for generations via the tickling of her ears, with the masterful strokes of watered down doctrines which are powerless to alter whatever or somebody! The Church needs to come up during this serious hour and pursue uprightness. hundreds of thousands are leaving the Church day-by-day. The Church has a divorce fee that competitors the area!
John Moschos' religious Meadow is without doubt one of the most vital assets for overdue sixth-early 7th century Palestinian, Syrian and Egyptian monasticism. This undisputedly useful choice of priceless stories presents modern society with a fuller photograph of a less than perfect social heritage of this era: it's a wealthy resource for knowing not just the piety of the monk but additionally the terrible farmer.
The nice American pastor-theologian Jonathan Edwards continues to be undeniably suitable this day, greater than 250 years after his dying, as attested via the endless flurry of articles, books, and dissertations treating him. regardless of this, almost not anything has been written touching on Edwards's perspectives on worship, a subject matter significant to the Christian religion, and positively to Edwards himself.
Due to the fact Dietrich Bonhoeffer's demise in 1945, carried out via the Nazis as a political dissident, he has persisted to fascinate and compel readers as a theologian, witness, and martyr. Bonhoeffer's theological brilliance, dedicated discipleship, ecumenical perception, and brave participation within the fight opposed to fascism have profoundly formed modern Christian knowing and motion.
- Among the Gentiles: Greco-Roman Religion and Christianity (The Anchor Yale Bible Reference Library)
- Devil Worship
- The Pro-Israel Lobby in Europe: The Politics of Religion and Christian Zionism in the European Union (Library of European Studies)
- Theological Commonplaces:: On the Nature of God: 2
- Shh...Listening For God
Extra resources for Bearing False Witness: Debunking centuries of anti-Catholic history